The plot on which the Nicholas palace from 1721 has been busy serving the cable Admiralty court. In the 1790s, here the project of FI Volkov built a two-story wooden barracks for sailors, later rebuilt AD Zakharov.Order Excursion
A few years before his death, Emperor Nicholas I ordered the construction of the front residence to his third son Nicholas. This place was chosen for the palace. Near recently opened the first permanent bridge across the Neva (Annunciation), which determined this choice. The author of the residence of the Grand Duke by the Cabinet of His Imperial Majesty was selected Andrei Stackenschneider. Younger architects were appointed Augusto Lange and Karl Ziegler. Construction on the project Shtakenshnejdera were architects A. Bryullov, KA Ton and RA Zhelyazevich.
Nicholas Palace was laid on May 21, 1853. At the base of the building was laid coffer with gold and silver coins, gold plated brass plaque with the engraved inscription of the event.
Nicholas Palace project has provided not only the appearance of housing for Nikolai Nikolaevich, but the arena, stables, outbuildings for servants. Nicholas Palace occupied territory of two hectares. Construction suspended for the duration of the Crimean War, was reopened in 1856. To this end, more than three million rubles were allocated from the Appanages Department. The opening ceremony and the consecration of the Nicholas Palace was held in December 1861.
The Grand Duke Nicholas Palace moved with his wife Alexandra Petrovna. With her wedding to the time in 1855 and before the opening of his residence, he lived in the Winter Palace.
Nicholas Palace, along with the Church of the Annunciation, became dominant Annunciation Square (now Square of Labor). Stackenschneider chosen for the facade and architectural techniques of the Italian Renaissance. In vogue eclectic Stackenschneider was one of the first architects who used this style in St. Petersburg. Before the main facade was open, fenced openwork grille, Playground, let us can see the facade of the palace with the area in detail. In the eastern part of the Nicholas Palace, from the garden, located house church.
For decorated lobby Stackenschneider used the "breech stone", the remainder of the construction Isaakivskogo Cathedral. The staircase was decorated with seventeen paintings by Nikolai Tihobrazova. Enfilade second floor (mezzanine) White began living decorated molded OVERDOOR and painted panels. Next - Small dining room, living room of China. In the center of the western facade - pink living room, which has a ceiling decorated ceiling "Judgment of Paris" by A. Yasevich. In the north-western part of the mezzanine are two tiers of windows Ballroom and Banquet Hall (17 meters high). Ballroom decorated with sculptures by Jensen.
In the eastern part of the Nicholas Palace were private apartments of Nicholas Roerich and his wife. The windows of the rooms overlook the garden and on Horse Guards Boulevard. The private quarters could get through their own entrance from the garden. From here you can go to the billiard room, the duty adjutant, reception hall, study, Shtandartnuyu. Walls decorated rooms featuring favorite horses of the Grand Duke, written by J. Schwabe. Cabinet of three doors led to a balcony overlooking the garden. There is sometimes sang the chorus of the Finnish infantry battalion soldiers. In the office every morning at 9 o'clock tea was served, which was also attended by the wife of Grand Duke Alexander P., Dr. Obermyuller, General adjutants. At 12 hours Nikolai breakfast Minor Table.
Alexandra chambers adjoined to the rooms of the Grand Duke. Cabinet Princess out two windows and a balcony on the boulevard. Hence it was possible to get to the winter garden, Boudoir, restrooms and bedchamber.
On the ground floor of the Nicholas Palace has a children's room. In the north-western part of the palace tutors children lived. Here - spare (guest) room, recreational room for sports games.
Nicholas Palace was originally equipped with water, sewage and telegraph communication with the General Staff, lightning rods, hydraulic lift with a cabin made of mahogany.
By Nikolaev palace belonged arena, designed in the Arabic style, and connected with the palace of the individual transitions. In it were two rooms for attendants and the room in which organized the exhibition of purebred dogs, horses or cattle breeding. Grand Duke Nicholas was a member of various agricultural and sports associations. Maids separate five-storey building was built.
In the center of the garden was a round glacier grotto in the form of red Finnish granite.
Two tiers of windows home church was consecrated Nicholas Palace Protopresbyter VB Bozhanovo October 24, 1863 in the name of Our Lady of the Holy Virgin. Entrance to it was a grand staircase. The volume of the church completed the belfry with seven bells. Paintings in the interior of the church performed the German professor of painting L. Thiersch. Silver church plate was manufactured in a factory supplier of His Imperial Palace Sazonov. The church could accommodate up to 60 people. In 1872, the project FS Kharlamov under Sole and the altar was arranged chapel with chapels of St. Barbara and the Apostle Peter.
At the ball in the Nicholas palace played the best military bands. They took part in the master of the palace, and his brother Michael. Mikhail preferred to dance with the married ladies, and Nikolai Nikolaevich - with the girls.
November 22, 1868 on the day of engagement niece Nikolai Nikolaevich Duchess Eugenia Maksimilianovna Leuchtenberg with Prince Alexander Petrovich of Oldenburg in the Nicholas Palace arrived Duchess Tatiana B. Potemkin. During its ascent to the church elevator suddenly fell with the height. The cabin collapsed, Princess barely recovered from the wreckage. Potemkin left for two months in the palace, and then sent home.
The white living room Nicholas Alexandra Palace suit charity bazaars.
Chairman of the Committee of Ministers, Count PA Valuev wrote about life in the palace: "Everything is dull and stereotyped ... The conversation, especially in the afternoon, only a horse."
Grand Duke Nicholas was fond of not only the horses. His other passion was ballet and ballet dancers. In 1865, he was seriously carried away prima Krasnoselski Theater Catherine Chislova. The Grand Duke took her to an apartment nearby, in a house on Galley Street. Its windows looked out directly on the facade of the Nicholas Palace. When Catherine was prepared for the meeting, it was exhibited on the windowsill two lighted candles. The servant then announced that in a fire, which allegedly went Nikolai, reputed to be a great lover of fires.
In the second half of 1880 in the Nicholas palace began to remodel the interiors for the grown-up children of Nikolai Nikolaevich and Alexandra. Work was carried out under the guidance of Academician NP Basin. In the north-western part of the first floor of the Nicholas Palace settled Nicholas Jr., in the south - Peter Nikolaevich. On the ground floor there were red living room, Turkish bathroom, Armory, Moorish living room and other rooms.
After the death of Grand Duke Nicholas in 1890. Nicholas Palace for the debt was transferred to the Department of Appanages. Heirs allowed to take part of the paintings, porcelain, furniture and family heirlooms.
Nicholas Palace was rebuilt for the needs of the Institute under the direction of Robert A. Gedike and Ivan Alexandrovich Stefanitsa. On the ground floor there Office, boss apartment Institute and living quarters for teachers. The second floor housed the classrooms. Stables rebuilt under the dining room, the Arena - a bedroom.